I had been feeling icky for a couple weeks. I knew something was just...off. I had joked to my husband, I was either dying or pregnant. Obviously, I'd happily take pregnant. But then I really started to wonder. So after chickening out several times at the store, I finally sent him to go get what he likes to call a P-test. He splurged on the expensive ones, you know the digital ones that say "pregnant"/"not pregnant". The box said it could take up to 3 minutes. So I thought I'd just hop in the shower and check the results when I got out. As I was stepping into the shower, probably only a minute after, I happened to look down at it and it plainly said "pregnant". Well, ok. It's pretty sure of itself, I thought to myself. It's one of those things that just doesn't register at first. Almost like an, "I'll believe it when I see it", type thing. So after I showered, I stalled for several minutes before I took the P-test out to my husband and handed it to him saying, "Well, I guess this means I'm not dying!" Needless to say we were both kind of surprised.
Our first doctor appointment was February 17th. (We found out on February 13th. The day
before Valentine's Day, so we spent most of our Valentine's date in a daze. Haha) I was just ready to hear from my doctor that I was, in fact, now housing a living being. The thought blows my mind. My husband sat in the waiting room while she did the exam and then she went and got him when she was ready to do the ultrasound. They got it all set up and the nurse and my doctor exclaimed that there indeed was a baby in there! She forgot to turn it around so we could see so I was like, "uh, can I see it??" She turned it around and there it was. This little peanut shaped...baby. With a thumping little heart! Of course we could only see it, not hear it. But I finally had my proof that God had placed a baby right there in my tummy. It's crazy, I tell ya. That feeling you get when you know there is something growing inside you... Almost alien-ish. I've always thought that. And it didn't change when I saw it and experienced it for myself! The doctor said I was 5 weeks and 8 days along. Gosh, I can't believe I went that long without
checking to make sure... You'd think a girl would just know!
Right?
The next few days I really started to feel the effects:
Little to no energy
Nauseous (haven't puked yet, thankfully! I did figure out that I was most nauseous when my stomach was empty. So I just try not to let it get that way.)
Having to get up during the night to go to the bathroom...I hate that!
Among other things I'm sure no one wants to hear about.
For the past couple weeks I can't seem to stay awake at night to watch a movie. I always end up falling asleep on the couch and wake up feeling really yucky. My body is ready to call it a day around 9 or 9:30pm. No more being a night owl! And I can't sleep past 8 or 8:30am even if I try. So weird. Takes a lot of energy, baking a baby :)
I'm now 8 weeks! We plan on telling our parents next week or the week after. I'm hoping to surprise my dad with his birthday gift. He's been waiting for the day he has a grand baby for a really long time. Now he won't be the only one of his brothers who doesn't have a grand kid hanging around his neck at family functions. Haha :)
Oh, my due date is Oct 17th. A Fall baby! Being big pregnant in the hot Texas months won't be so fun. But it will give me a good excuse to spend a lot of time in a pool and in the AC! Another cool thing about this surprise, is that there will now be 2 new babes at my family's Christmas this year. You know who's gonna get all the presents! I guess that's how it goes :)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this, and am looking forward to my next doctor visit March 15th. At this point it's just hard to know that everything is going like it is supposed to. Lots of unsureness. But one thing I can rest on is that God has everything under control! Still this has been one of those things I haven't wanted to acknowledge out loud a whole lot yet. I think after I get past the 3 month mark I will feel a bit better about it. It's almost like when I first got married and it felt really odd to refer to what had been my fiance for a year as my husband. When we pray at night it's as if it takes a lot to say "our baby". And it sounds funny rolling off our tongue. Silly, I know.
I know I should probably take a pre-bump picture. But with all the yucky bloaty-ness I haven't been very motivated to. Maybe I will soon :) Until then, here is Baby K's first snap shot.
Cute little thing, huh? :P
No comments:
Post a Comment